- Eat more citrus. An article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition1 found that people who eat foods high in vitamin C are more successful at staving off the effects of premature aging of the skin.
- Eat more vegetables. They contain lots of fiber, vitamins and minerals and low in calories. They’re the key to maintaining health and a comfortable weight.
- Cut down on sugar intake and don’t use artificial sweeteners.
- Expand your palate. Just because something sounds distasteful doesn’t mean it actually is. Things like kale, bitter melon and pomegranate may be acquired tastes but if you like them, you’re adding to your arsenal of healthy foods—all of which helps in weight management.
- Learn to cook. It is not only healthier because you can choose exactly which ingredients to use but also helps save money. One Reddit user cut his food budget from $900 to $150 a month by cooking more and ordering food delivery less.2
- Vow to exercise daily, as consistency is key. To challenge yourself, each week increase the intensity of whatever you choose to do a little bit.
- Spend less screen time (cell phones, tablets, TV, etc.) and more time making actual contact with living beings. For example, have tea time with friends, take an exercise class, walk the dog, etc.
- Wear shoes that are supportive and comfortable. When feet are uncomfortable, the whole body suffers. Feet carry us where we need to go, so be kind to them and we have a better chance that they’ll work throughout our lives.
- Be helpful. Whether we volunteer our time or donate to worthy causes, helping others is a win-win. We end up with a better self-image, which in turn creates an overall sense of well-being.
- Take the stairs wherever you can. That doesn’t mean climbing a high-rise, but three or four stories is a good way to add to a short walk in a building. During inclement weather, consciously using the stairs is a great way to do a mini-workout.
Saturday, January 12, 2019
As we begin 2019, making a commitment to improve overall health is crucial to an Active Wellness lifestyle. For each of us, that commitment is personal; however, the rule of thumb is to eat healthy foods and move our bodies more often. Resolutions need to be do-able and realistic in order for us to stick them. Here are 10 practical ways to help make 2019 a healthier year.
To help you achieve your healthy eating resolution, we’re offering a special on Kenzen Vital Balance Meal Replacement chocolate from Monday, January 7 through Sunday, March 31, 2019: 33% discount—Get 3 for the price of 2!
Thursday, January 3, 2019
Some notable health trends for 2019 are carried over from 2018 as more people take on the Active Wellness lifestyle. Here’s a look at what’s coming up for 2019 and amazingly, how Nikken products continue to be trendsetters throughout the years.
- Medicinal mushrooms and herbs are finding their way into everyday food and drinks. Adaptogenic herbs can now be found in coffee bars and tea shops.1
Adaptogens are found in Kenzen® Cleanse & Detox, Kenzen® Clarity, Kenzen Lactoferrin™ 2.0 and Kenzen® Immunity, which is formulated with 14 different species of mushrooms!
- More gadgets are popping up to help us recover from strenuous activities. According to CEO Martin Tobias of Upgrade Labs, “Modern recovery technologies use stronger signals like vibration, infrared light, targeted compression, intense cold, intense heat, powerful detoxification, and advanced nutrition to speed recovery and development.”2
Virtually every Nikken nutritional supplement targets not only health maintenance but helps the body recover from daily stresses. In addition, the KenkoTouch®, the MagCreator, CM Complex Cream and the KenkoGround™ specifically help overcome muscle fatigue.
- Last year, sales of plant-based meat grew to 23% and is forecast to continue expanding in 2019. Plant-based dairy was 13% of all milk sales in 2018 and also expected to grow in 2019.
- Plant–based fish and seafood, which reported sales increase of 72% from 2017 to 2018, is predicted to really expand in a big way.5 New companies are entering the market as it heats up. Managing Partner T.K. Pillan of PowerPlant Ventures says, “If awareness of the negative impacts of ocean fishing and contaminants spread quickly, plant-based fish could follow the plant-based meat market in its recent accelerated growth.” 3
Adds Eric Schnell, co-founder of Good Catch, a company that focuses on plant-based fish for vegans and those with fish allergies, “There are 300 marine animals that are fished around the world for consumption and only 30 land animals, so the opportunity to disrupt the marine category is 10 times bigger than chicken, beef and pork.”4
A prime example of using renewable plant sources rather than depleting marine supplies is Kenzen® Omega Green + DHA with omegas 3, 6 and 9 derived from flaxseed oil, red algae and cranberry seed oil.
- As awareness of the importance of sleep for overall health grows, people are tracking their sleep patterns to find ways to improve the quality of their resting hours. According to virtually every sleep expert, it’s important to maintain a consistent sleep-wake schedule. That translates to waking up and going to bed at the same time, as much as possible, and not deviating too much on weekends or days off from work. At Nikken, we believe the Kenko Sleep System can help poor sleepers achieve their best rest!
- Digestive health is set to become a significant trend in 2019. The Kroger Company in Cincinnati put out information stating that “medical studies show that a healthy gut is the foundation of overall wellness, and more than ever before, consumers are seeking foods that support self-care and healthy immune systems.” 5
Kenzen Lactoferrin™ 2.0 and Kenzen® Digestion Complex 4-20 support optimal digestion*, nutrient absorption*, the proliferation of good gut bacteria* and overall health.
- As we continue to live in a world where instant gratification is so desired, fast food is not going away. The good news is that there is a growing trend toward healthy eating in the form of meal replacement shakes, salads to go and nutrient-dense take-out food. According to Mintel, a market research firm that forecasts data for thousands of consumer goods markets worldwide, “On-the-go consumers are shopping for grab and go breakfasts, quick snacks and dinner time solutions. Consumers are expecting high-quality food and beverage options that fit into their fast-paced, time-crunched lifestyles without having to sacrifice health goals or flavor.”6
Look no further than Kenzen Vital Balance® Meal Replacement Mix, which can be a meal or a snack, depending on your needs. It’s convenient and versatile, suitable for vegans and contains MCTs for your brain! It is an instant meal that supports the GI tract with an enzyme blend combined with probiotics.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.