Sunday, December 16, 2018
The Center for Food Safety emailed me an alert this week and I thought I would share excerpts of its important message:
“A recent study (printed in The Journal of American Medical Association and reported in The New York Times) that followed 70,000 adults for five years, most of them women, found that the most frequent consumers of organic food had 25 percent fewer cancers over the course of their lives than those who never ate organic food. This latest study supports what we at Center for Food Safety (CFS) have been advocating all along: choosing organic foods isn’t a lifestyle, but a lifesaver. We will continue to work to protect organics, ban pesticides affecting our health and farmworkers, and to increase access so that everyone can enjoy the benefits that come from eating organic foods. We know that pesticide residues are detected four times more often in conventional food than they are in organic food. And we know that eating organic foods lowers the risk of impairment in the physical and mental development of children.”1
The executive leadership at Nikken is on the same page as the Center for Food Safety. For example, the HiOmega® flaxseed oil powder found in our proprietary blend in Kenzen Omega Green + DHA is cold pressed, all-natural and non-GMO.2 As such, each harvest of organic flaxseeds produces variations in color and smell, dependent upon the season and soil conditions. A recent batch has produced a “vinegary” odor. It is the highly beneficial linoleic acid within the flaxseed oil that “produces a slightly different distribution of odorants.”3 Our manufacturers requested replacing the flaxseed oil with a non-organic seed in order to rid the product of its odor. (Non-organic seeds are highly processed and therefore have much fewer beneficial properties left.) The Nikken response? Keep the all-natural organic flaxseed for optimal Active Wellness.
Nikken is committed to using high-quality ingredients even if they are much more expensive. Admittedly, some of you may find the vinegary smell unpleasant. However, it’s still better than the fishy smell that comes from fish oil. And, flaxseeds contain more polyphenols than vegetables like olives and blueberries, an added bonus. Fish oil does not contain any polyphenols.
Kenzen Omega Green + DHA is 100 percent vegetarian and contains all three omega fatty acids, 3, 6, 9. The proprietary formula of cranberry seed oil, flaxseed oil and red algae comes from renewable sources and the flaxseed oil in particular, is cold pressed to avoid heat. (Heat tends to deteriorate the beneficial effects of omega-3 fatty acids.) Omega fatty acids help support healthy heart, brain nerve and eye function. They help maintain cardiovascular health and help support digestive health and hormone balance as well as the cellular membranes in the skin, heart and brain. Omega fattyacids also are believed to help reduce periodic sleeplessness and carbohydrate cravings.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The “3” in Omega-3 refers to the three major types of fatty acids that are found in food and used by our bodies. They are: ALA-alpha-linolenic acid, EPA-eicosapentaenoic acid and DHA-dicosahexaenoic acid. Once consumed, the human body converts ALA to EPA and DHA. Because the human body can create EPA and DHA in this way, they are not considered essential fatty acids. On the other hand, ALA cannot be produced by the human body and is considered an essential fatty acid that needs to be obtained from the diet. Omega-3s are important components of virtually all cell membranes, so having a balance of these fatty acids are necessary to maintain good health.
ALA is found in land-based plant foods, especially nuts, seeds, soybeans, green leafy vegetables, and some refined oils like walnut and flax seed oil. Since EPA and DHA are found in so few food types, when you hear people say omega-3 fatty acids, they are almost always referencing alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).1
Due to the many reported health benefits, many healthcare professionals recommend daily supplements, whether they’re omega vegetarian capsules made from algae, from fish oil (salmon, mackerel, anchovies, tuna, etc.), or from a crustacean (krill). For those with shellfish allergies, krill oil should be avoided.
Known as a primary source of omegas, supplements made from fish oil are by far the cheapest. Given how polluted the oceans are, fish oils can be contaminated with a variety of toxins. The process of detoxifying fish oils increases the oxidation and diminishes the omega and nutrient content. In addition, the world’s fish supply is diminishing in direct contrast to the increasing toxic load of the fish.
Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 oils have been identified as being especially important. An omega supplement must offer all three of these oils to be of greatest value. The importance of supplementation with omega fatty acids for heart health and brain health2 is in direct conflict with the risk of ingesting toxins through fish oils.
Nikken has been aware of this dichotomy for years. The answer is Kenzen Omega Green + DHA The plant sourced omega fatty acids for Kenzen Omega Green + DHA are cranberry seed oil, flax seed oil and red algae, each of which is easily renewable.
- Cranberry seed oil contains naturally occurring substances called phytosterols that structurally resemble the human body’s cholesterol. Phytosterols reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) but do not affect HDL (good cholesterol). Eating foods with phytosterols may cut the risk for heart disease when consumed as part of a healthy eating plan, according to the Cleveland Clinic. 3 Cranberry seed oil is considered unique among fixed oils because it contains a very high essential fatty acid profile in addition to a high antioxidant load. 4
- Flax seed oil contains ALA and has been advocated to combat cardiovascular disease. The use of flax seed oil as a nutritional intervention for the prevention of heart disease has received increasing amounts of research attention. 5
- Red algae has been used for thousands of years as a food source, especially in Asian cultures. It is high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are easily utilized by the human body to help boost the immune system and nourish skin. The main benefits of red algae are its ability to promote healthy circulation in the body, to help regulate blood sugar levels and to help lower bad cholesterol levels. High in dietary fiber, it is also a rich source of calcium and magnesium so it contributes to bone health.6
Consuming Kenzen Omega Green + DHA gives you all the benefits of an omega supplement and none of the risks. It helps carnivores, vegetarians and vegans to obtain the right balance of omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 for Active Wellness without the risk associated with fish oil toxins.
For more information on this product and others my Nikken check out www.nikken.com/na/jsj
Thursday, December 13, 2018
WHAT IS A "WELLNESS HOME?"
by John Jackson, M.D., FACP
A Wellness Home is a unique concept created by Nikken, the world’s only total wellness company. This R&D giant has operations in over a dozen countries around the globe, marketing scientifically proven technologies, integrated for natural healing and prevention. Nikken resembles Microsoft with a “point and click” operating system for wellness, easy to grasp and simple to use.
Microsoft was founded in 1975 at Albuquerque, New Mexico. Nikken was founded in 1975 at Fukuoka, Japan. Microsoft opened its first international office in
Japan. Nikken opened its international headquarters in Irvine, California. Microsoft’s mission was "a computer on every office desk and in every home." Nikken’s mission is “every home a Wellness Home.”
What is a Wellness Home? Most simply, it is a restored and pristine habitat for humanity, a greenhouse for the human body. The body itself is home to 100 trillion cells. One neglected pre-cancerous cell could eventually endanger the whole organism. In order for us to be well, the optimal function of all our cells needs attention.
What each cell requires for health:
· Pure, smooth, great tasting, hydrating, alkaline water in adequate amounts to support circulation, deliver oxygen and nutrients, to eliminate wastes (opportunity for disease arises when the immune system lacks supply or is encumbered by toxins)
· Proper sleep, in quantity and quality, for body repair/regeneration of cells. According to Dr. Williams C. Dement, M.D., PhD., the world’s leading authority on sleep and the dangers of sleep deprivation states…”Healthy sleep has been empirically proven to be the single most important determinant in predicting LONGEVITY. More important than diet, exercise or heredity.”
· Whole food supplements to fill gaps in our diet and fully nourish cells
· Full spectrum of nature’s energy (magnetic, ionic and infra-red), 24/7
Nikken, the world’s only total wellness company, provides all of the above in highest quality through the Wellness Home. This offers the perfect means for urgently needed Self-Care. The fabric of modern society is threatened by potential breakdown of a healthcare system overburdened with management of diseases mostly traced to poor lifestyle and a contaminated environment.
Thoughtful individuals welcome the option of natural healing and prevention, leaving doctors and nurses to care for those more critically ill.
Are you ready to use the best blueprint and build a future of better health and well being for the whole family?
A four year old boy’s seizures he had been having since he was 18 months old, coincidentally stopped, and he started talking which he hadn’t been doing before...after living in a wellness home for three weeks.
A gentleman in Sydney, Australia cancelled the surgeries he had scheduled to have his right hand and both feet amputated... after living in a wellness home.
A good friend who was scalded very badly when a pressure cooker sprayed boiling water on her face and chest recovered very quickly without discomfort and no residual scaring...because they live in a wellness home.
A young man from Tacoma, WA had seizures all his life and was a failing college student before discovering a
wellness home. Coincidentally, he no longer has seizures and is married and doing well.
A woman from California and her husband were guests in our wellness home for two days, when she exclaimed that this was the first time in years she woke up without her neck hurting. They also couldn’t believe how well they slept and how high the sun was in the sky when they awoke!
A man from Everett, WA couldn’t get one of his shoes off one evening. After rolling back the tongue of his shoe, he discovered the point of a three inch nail sticking through the top of his foot! He couldn’t feel it, as he hadn’t been able to feel anything with his feet for a long time. After discovering a wellness home, he can now feel the difference between carpet, slate and wood flooring when his shoes are off.
A lady in California had been on her feet for 45 years working on women’s hair. She said she couldn’t touch her thigh, as it was very tender and she couldn’t squat, and she had to lower herself to the toilet and back up with her hands on the counter. She then discovered a wellness home...and after 24 hours she was able to touch her thigh and squat completely to the floor and back up several times.
A young man from Georgia had been in a coma for a year, then home with his parents for seven years...but was non verbal and had to be fed, clothed, etc., by them everyday. After his parents created a wellness home, he started to talk and function like never before.
We have lived in a wellness home for over 25 years, and hardly ever get sick and are as active as ever. Because of having a wellness home, I (Dennis) survived two severe challenges with my heart, and have now been declared 100% good by the doctors, other than the scar tissue from my by-pass surgeries years ago. Bad genetics are in my family, as I lost my father at age 51, my younger brother at age 34, my dad’s
brother at 56, etc. We are very thankful to have a wellness home to live in! I’m the only guy left and going
strong at 76.
Note: We are in no position to diagnose, prescribe, heal, cure, or prevent anything. The above coincidences are just what has been observed by people living in a wellness home...an environment that is the healthiest you could possibly live in. It’s like building a greenhouse around your family...a Safe Haven or Self Care Sanctuary, if you will.
We highly recommend that you create a Wellness Home for your family, and give them the protection and
benefits it provides. Choose to be “Healthy by Choice...Not by Chance!”
For information on the products that make up a wellness home go to https://www.nikken.com/na/jsj
Monday, November 26, 2018
You know the butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling you get when you‘re nervous or stressed out? Looking forward (not!) to dealing with in-law-itis and other members of the family at annual get-togethers? Overeating? Drinking in excess?
Starting with Thanksgiving, the hustle and bustle of the holiday season can be hard on the gut. Here are some tips for maintaining a stable gut over the holidays:
- Drink lots of water. You might overdo the alcoholic beverages, but if you drink lots of water, it will help compensate for the dehydrating aspects of alcohol and sugar. (Yes, most alcoholic beverages contain sugar or convert to sugar.)
- Chew. No matter how much you eat, if you remember to chew, it will help prevent indigestion because it will slow down the eating process. Swallowing too much too quickly can cause gas and bloat.
- Going to potlucks? There will be lots of tempting foods that are full of empty calories, so bring something delicious but make it a healthy treat! Think exotic fruit salads and greens.
- Sleep is more than just necessary rest. Good sleep helps the digestive system function optimally. The body rebalances, detoxes and regenerates during sleep, so get plenty of it.
- Practice Active Wellness by exercising. If you have a daily routine, try to stick to it. In addition, after each big meal, try to take a walk.
- When you’re traveling, pack healthy snacks and avoid the fast-food kiosks. For example, bring a shaker bottle with premeasured Kenzen Vital Balance Meal Replacement Mix in it, and you can add water after you pass the TSA checkpoint at any airport for a nutritious meal replacement or snack.
- If you haven’t already incorporated Kenzen Digestion Complex 4-20 into your daily regimen, there’s no better time to do so than now. With all four major digestive enzymes in the formula, your stomach will thank you.
- Take care of your mental state as well as your physical state. Try to set aside a few minutes daily to be alone and inhale and exhale deeply. Oxygen feeds your brain and your gut.
- Kenzen Lactoferrin 2.0 supports both the G. I. tract and mental health with four exceptional organic ingredients
- Give thanks. Whether you say it to your family and friends or simply meditate on it, remember what you’re grateful for even in the most trying of times.
Tuesday, October 30, 2018
March is National Nutrition Month®, a nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to remind people to return to the basics of healthy eating. Although the right diet depends on each individual’s personal needs and state of health, the Mediterranean diet is one that is often recommended.
Eating Mediterranean style is actually easy and best of all, delicious. Here are 10 basics:
- Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, legumes and nuts. Fruits and vegetables contain vitamins, minerals and fiber. They have a lot of water content and help to provide a feeling of fullness. Preferably, eat locally grown fruits and vegetables that retain the highest nutrient content.
- Choose olive oil as your main source of added fat. It’s rich in vitamin E, beta-carotenes and monounsaturated fat.
- Incorporate healthful grains into your everyday diet. Carbohydrates have gotten a lot of bad press, but in the Mediterranean diet, moderate consumption of whole grains are a source of energy for a life of Active Wellness.
- Consume moderate amounts of dairy products, especially fermented ones such as yogurt, as it is known to contain live micro-organisms that can help improve the balance of good gut bacteria.
- Be sure to incorporate fish into your meal plans. Eat it at least once or twice a week. Cold water fish are known to contain omega fatty acids, beneficial for heart health.
- Eat eggs. They’re perfect alternatives to meat, high in quality proteins and fat. Once given a bad rap, eggs are now considered a complete food.
- Replace baked goods and other desserts with added sugar with fresh fruit. Eating fruit, such as dates, for dessert is common not only with Mediterranean cultures but also in Asian and African traditions.
- More than any other beverages, drink water. Water truly sustains healthy living. The Mediterranean diet also incorporates red wine as a healthful beverage, but only in moderation. Nutritionists recommend limiting consumption to no more than one portion daily for women and two for men.
- Eat red meat in moderation. If possible, use meat in combination with vegetables, such as in stews. Choose lean meats for their protein content and iron.
- Don’t eat processed foods. Processing removes valuable nutrients and enzymes, so you end up with empty calories.
With Nikken Wellness Products ,organic nutritional supplements to fill in dietary gaps, it’s even easier to get back to the basics of healthy eating!
Athletes are always looking for that competitive edge. For example, some swimmers shave their entire bodies; many runners swear by carbo-loading; jockeys are known to fast before races; extreme behaviors become run-of-the-mill—all in pursuit of heightened performance and victory. One performance enhancer that is drawing more attention from elite athletes is perfectly legal: caffeine.
Caffeine has always been the perennial best friend of high school and college students—whether as a wake-me-up or a means to stay awake while cramming for exams. Triathletes and distance runners have used caffeine as an energy booster for decades, but in more recent years, those involved in short-burst sports are also taking advantage of this stimulant.
Natural sources of caffeine include seeds, leaves, nuts and berries. In Kenzen Ten4 Energy Drink Mix , there are 80 mg per serving of natural caffeine from organic matcha green tea. The caffeine in organic matcha green tea not only may help boost energy, but it also may create a calm type of awareness. In other words, organic matcha green may well provide you with a pick-me-up feeling without the jitteriness that caffeine from other sources may cause. The natural caffeine in organic matcha green tea binds to the naturally occurring phytonutrients to slow down the absorption of the stimulant, giving it a slow release effect, resulting in up to six hours of enhanced alertness or physical performance.
You hear about antioxidant this and antioxidant that. You know antioxidants are good. But why are they good and how do they work? Relative to antioxidants, you hear a lot about free radicals. Here’s why:
Antioxidants are natural substances that may slow or even prevent damage to the body’s cells. Our bodies contain natural antioxidants in the form of vitamins, minerals and hormones. Our immune system uses these natural antioxidants to fight “threats” such as pollutants, toxins, radiation and UV light. Importantly, antioxidants fight and work to reverse the damage caused by free radicals that wreak havoc in our bodies and are the leading cause of premature aging.1
Free radicals are bad cells that are unstable and reactive. They enter our bodies as we breathe in polluted air and cigarette smoke; they creep in from unclean water; they’re generated when we’re under prolonged stress or suffering from illness; they even come in the form of unhealthy diets. Every metabolic reaction that involves oxygen has the potential to generate free radicals and if nothing is done, inflammation and arterial wall damage are the end results.2
Even though our bodies contain natural antioxidants, we obviously need more support to maintain Active Wellness in our increasingly polluted world. That’s where the elderberry can play a starring role.
The elderberry is generally traced back to Hippocrates, the Greek known as the “father of medicine.” He described it as his “medicine chest” for its wide variety of health benefits. Over the centuries, elderberry has been used to treat colds, flu, fever, burns, cuts and more than 70 other maladies. 3
In the year 2007, the US Department of Agriculture looked at the oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) or overall antioxidant capability of various berries. That is, which berries were the most effective at attacking damaging free radicals? Elderberry had higher ORAC values than blackberry, blueberry, cranberry, raspberry and strawberry, which also are relatively high in antioxidants.4
With such a high ORAC, it’s no wonder that elderberries are known as excellent immune system boosters. Your local drugstore in the US, Canada and Europe are likely to have an array of elderberry syrups or tablets. Numerous studies have demonstrated that elderberry extract is highly effective in mitigating flu-like symptoms and shortening the duration of colds.5
Research published in the Journal of Nutrition show that elderberry extract helps expedite the process of clearing excess sugar from the bloodstream and into muscles and the liver, thereby helping to maintain normal levels of blood sugar.6 Studies also show that Sambucus (the scientific name for elderberry) has natural diuretic and laxative effects, which helps the body decrease fluid retention and constipation.7
Kenzen Super Ciaga contains a mighty medley of berries with the powerful maqui berry having the highest ORAC value at 27,600 per 100g serving of fresh fruit. Elderberry, which is an excellent source of vitamins A, B and C, provides substantial support with an ORAC value of 14,500 per 100g serving of fresh fruit. Blueberry, blackberry and raspberry add to the overall ORAC value as well as enhancing flavor with their natural sweetness. Kenzen Super Ciaga® is a delicious way to ingest some powerful antioxidants!
In the next three months, the Nikken Facebook page will be posting the 10 winning Kenzen Super Ciaga® recipes from our contest. Check it out and why not do a little experimentation of your own—Kenzen Super Ciaga® tastes like a treat and acts like bodyguard!
5, 6, 7 https://draxe.com/elderberry/
Monday, October 29, 2018
There are more than 500 unique polyphenols. 1 Polyphenols are a category of chemicals that naturally occur in plants. Known as micronutrients, the polyphenols that we get through certain plant-based foods are packed with antioxidants and potential health benefits. Nutritionists believe that polyphenols can improve or help treat digestion issues, weight management difficulties, diabetes, neurodegenerative disease, and cardiovascular diseases.2
Factors that influence the activity of polyphenols in the body include metabolism, intestinal absorption, and the bioavailability of the polyphenol. Although some foods may have higher polyphenol levels than others, this does not necessarily mean that they are absorbed and used at higher rates.3 For example, polyphenols found in actual foods are often more readily absorbed than those encapsulated in supplements.
Different categories of food contain varying amounts of polyphenols. Here are some of the more easily accessible sources by food group, with berries having a notably high concentration of polyphenols:
Berries: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries,elderberries, , blackberries, cranberries
Other fruit: oranges, apples, grapes, peaches, grapefruit, cherries, black currants, plums, apricots
Vegetables: onions, shallots, spinach, potatoes, black and green olives, globe artichoke heads, broccoli, asparagus, carrots
Nuts: hazelnuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, chestnuts
Seeds: flaxseeds, sesame seeds
Legumes: Soybeans, black beans, white beans
Beverages: Coffee,green tea, , black tea, red wine
Fats: dark chocolate, virgin olive oil, sesame seed oil
One of the easiest ways to incorporate polyphenols into the diet is to eat a Mediterranean diet. It emphasizes fruits and vegetables, includes ample amounts of olives, nuts and seeds, adds seafood and lean meat, and goes easy on starchy carbs.
Two Active Wellness formulations make it easy to insert antioxidant polyphenols into your daily regiment:
- Kenzen Super Ciaga is an organic superfruit juice concentrate that is not only delicious straight from a shot glass, but also serves as a great mixer with seltzer water to help you kick the soda habit. The numerous high-polyphenol organic berries in the formula are each harvested at the peak of their growth cycle for potency and natural sweetness.
- Kenzen Ten4 Energy Drink Mix contains organic matcha green tea, the most concentrated form of green tea. It’s another way to add antioxidant polyphenols into your daily regimen, and it’s versatile enough to be enjoyed hot or cold.
As you enjoy these delicious drinks, they’ll be busy helping your body cope with the onslaught of free radicals.
For three days only, October 16, 17 and 18, place a single order by phone with both the 2-pack Kenzen Super Ciaga® and Kenzen Ten4® Energy Drink Mix, and you’ll receive a yellow Kenko PowerBand® necklace as our gift to you!
Benjamin Franklin is attributed with saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” He originally was addressing fire safety, but today his axiom generally refers to health. In other words, it’s easier to prevent a health hazard than to repair damage that is already done.
October 10, 2018 is World Mental Health Day, and Ben Franklin’s words of wisdom come to mind. In order to prevent mental illness, it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms, then take immediate action to alleviate or prevent further distress.
Mental illness often begins in childhood or adolescence and goes unrecognized. The earlier treatment is begun, the more effective it can be to prevent the mental disorder from progressing into adulthood. Here are some warning signs that a child or teen might need help, as delineated by the National Institute of Mental Health1:
- Often feels anxious or worried
- Has very frequent tantrums or is intensely irritable much of the time
- Has frequent stomachaches or headaches with no physical explanation
- Is in constant motion, can’t sit quietly for any length of time
- Has trouble sleeping, including frequent nightmares
- Loses interest in things he or she used to enjoy
- Avoids spending time with friends
- Has trouble doing well in school, or grades decline
- Fears gaining weight; exercises, diets obsessively
- Has low or no energy
- Has spells of intense, inexhaustible activity
- Harms herself/himself, such as cutting or burning her/his skin
- Engages in risky, destructive behavior
- Harms self or others
- Smokes, drinks, or uses drugs
- Has thoughts of suicide
- Thinks his or her mind is controlled or out of control, hears voices
Although the list of symptoms is similar for adults, here are some other signs to watch out for in particular, as noted by the Mayo Clinic2:
- Feeling sad or down
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows
- Withdrawal from friends and activities
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping
- Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations
- Inability to cope with daily problems or stress
- Trouble understanding and relating to situations and to people
- Major changes in eating habits
- Sex drive changes
- Excessive anger, hostility or violence
Nikken nutritional supplements are of particular importance in supporting Active Wellness. There are two that specifically address the Healthy Mind Pillar.
- Kenko Clarity is formulated with a fermented blend of 100% organic ingredients to help us stay focused and mentally sharp. Fermentation increases the levels of macro- and micro-nutrients while breaking down food that is difficult for the body to process.
- Since the connection between brain function and gut health is critical for optimum results, Kenko Lactoferrin 2.0 contains four organic ingredients that specifically support the G.I. tract as well as promoting brain health.