- Balance activity with rest
- Use hot and cold therapies
- Be physically active (walk!)
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthen muscles around the joint for added support
- Avoid excessive repetitive movements
Monday, July 16, 2018
Arthritis is often misunderstood. Many people think arthritis only strikes the elderly, and this couldn’t be further from the truth. In America, more than 50 million adults and 300,000 children suffer from arthritis. 1 And, contrary to common belief, there are more than a hundred types of arthritis and related conditions.
Common symptoms of arthritis include swelling, pain, stiffness and decreased range of motion in the joints. Any variety of these symptoms can range from mild to severe. The effects are just as varied, from being an annoyance to being debilitating. Limitations can include difficulties moving and performing daily tasks, such as typing, opening jars, getting up from a sofa, and much more.
Counter-intuitively, walking is recommended for those who suffer from arthritis. It may cause discomfort to get moving, but moving will slow down the rate of degeneration. In other words, an Active Wellness lifestyle is key to living with arthritis.
According to Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, adults should take a 30-minute walk daily, five days a week. If that seems to be too much, the 30 minutes can be broken down into 10-minute increments. For example, take a 10-minute walk in the morning, another in the afternoon and then one more after dinner. Jobs that are sedentary aggravate arthritis and sufferers need to consciously get up and walk around at least once every hour.
Here are some tips to manage mild to moderate joint-related symptoms of the most common type of arthritis, known as osteoarthritis: 2
In addition to these lifestyle recommendations, Nikken offers two products that are formulated specifically to support joint function.* Kenzen Joint is a dietary supplement designed to work from the inside out, while CM Complex Cream is applied on the skin to work from the outside in. Both of these formulas are based on the active ingredient known as cetyl myristoleate (CM), discovered by Dr. H.W. Diehl, then of the National Institutes of Health. Both products carry the endorsement of Dr. Diehl’s estate.
From Tuesday, July 17 through Monday, July 23, purchase both Kenzen® Joint and CM Complex Cream in a stand-alone call-in order and receive a yellow Kenko PowerBand® necklace as our gift. Excludes Autoship orders.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Monday, July 9, 2018
Most of us spend more time outdoors during the summer months, and hair takes a beating from being exposed to sun, wind and chlorine. Effective hair care requires a good shampoo and conditioner, but what about the water used to wash our hair?
Unfiltered water generally contains sediment, minerals and chemicals (such as chlorine) purported to clean the water system. None of these things is helpful in maintaining clean hair and a healthy scalp. What does make a huge difference is the PiMag MicroJet Shower System.
We normally think of water filters only in terms of clean drinking water, but the PiMag MicroJet Shower System effectively reduces chlorine exposure and makes shower water comparable in quality to filtered drinking water.
Year-round swimmers know what chlorine can do to hair. Depending on your natural hair color, ongoing chlorine exposure may transform it to various shades of yellow, green or blue while drying it out to the consistency of hay. Chlorine also tends to fade hair dye and highlights, increasing the cost of color maintenance. In a nutshell, the damage chlorine does to hair costs a lot of money to fix, and too much time if you decide to use the “grow it out and cut it off” method. It’s so much more cost-effective and practical to install the PiMag MicroJet® Shower System, which is far superior to other chlorine-reduction systems. Here’s how:
- Most other chlorine-reduction shower filters trap part of the chlorine or add other chemicals to counteract it (fighting poison with poison, so to speak). The PiMag MicroJet uses a reduction/oxidation process to convert free-radical chlorine ions to neutral chlorides. In addition, Nikken Magnetic Technology helps condition water without salt or other chemical additives. The magnetic field assists in reducing clumping to reduce mineral buildup.
- Even more effective filtration is achieved by patent-pending Air-Induction Technology, which injects air into the shower stream to create a higher air-to-water ratio. The result is a water stream that is less viscous and has less surface tension so it passes through the nozzle with decreased resistance, which helps maintain water pressure without requiring a higher flow rate.
• The PiMag MicroJet® nozzle releases streams of microbubbles within the water flow, producing an effective cleansing action that penetrates surface buildup of dirt and helps moisturize skin and scalp so they feel fresh and soft.
Here are some other Active Wellness hair care tips:
- Once you have washed your hair, try rinsing it out with cold water. The cold temperature constricts hair cuticles and makes the strands smoother and more reflective. It also prevents dirt from accumulating on the scalp and helps strength hair. The cold water rinse may leave your hair looking glossier and shinier.
- Before swimming, wet your hair with cold water so that it has already absorbed clean water and will then soak up less of the salt or chlorinated water. (Chlorine and salt water make hair frizzy.)
- After swimming, if you stay out in the sun or delay going to the shower, coat your hair with True Elements Shampoo and Conditioner, as it will help prevent damage.
- Use True Elements® Shampoo and Conditioner regularly all year round and wash more frequently during summer months. They won’t strip hair of its natural oils or hurt the scalp’s protective barrier. Non-irritating to sensitive skin, True Elements® Hair Care does NOT contain commonly used chemical ingredients found in many name brands.
- Bring True Elements® Shampoo and Conditioner with you to the gym, the pool, and the beach.
- Drink lots of water. Dehydration has a direct impact on hair growth, and lack of hydration produces dry and brittle hair. It also may decrease the rate of growth.
Wednesday, July 4, 2018
Drinking plenty of water is extremely important and highly underrated even though dehydration is common and may have frightening consequences. Since 50 to 70 percent of our body mass is composed of water, including skin, tissues, cells and organs1, water is essential for Active Wellness. When dehydration occurs, the body does not have enough water for its basic vital functions.
Watch out for these symptoms of mild to moderate dehydration2:
- Increased thirst with dry mouth
- Unusual feelings of fatigue or sleepiness
- Decrease or lack in urine output
- Dry skin
- Leg cramps
Symptoms of severe dehydration include2:
- Lightheadedness that stops you from standing or walking normally
- Drop in blood pressure (can lead to shock)
- Rapid heart rate
- Poor skin elasticity
- Lethargy and/or confusion
- Actually passing out or blacking out
- Swollen hands, feet, and legs
Our bodies lose water daily through perspiration, breathing and the entire digestive/excretion process. We naturally replenish these losses through the consumption of food and beverages, but depending on individual diets, may not hydrate enough. The Institute of Medicine advises men to drink three liters (101 fluid ounces) of water per day and for women, 2.2 liters 74 fluid ounces).
During the summer months, we tend to perspire more and lose even more water throughout the day. That means the skin is working harder, and we need to replenish the body’s largest organ by drinking more water. Water not only keeps the skin hydrated but also helps skin stay soft and supple, which decreases the appearance of wrinkles by plumping up the cells. Dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling.
Drinking enough water helps increase our metabolic rate and improves the digestive system’s ability to flush toxins out of the body. This, in turn, helps produce healthy and glowing skin by reducing breakouts and acne. Unfortunately, water will reach all the other organs before it reaches the skin3, so it’s important to hydrate the skin on the outside as well. That’s where a great moisturizer like True Elements Nourishing Face Cream with hyaluronic acid helps skin hold water in. Hyaluronic acid is believed to hold 1,000 times its own weight in water, thus attracting water to the skin and holding it there.4
Staying hydrated is good for the health and helps us maintain our youthful looks! And the PiMag Sports Bottle lessens the amount of plastic we add to our overflowing landfills.
July 2, 3, 5 and 6, get free ground shipping on the Hair & Skin Care Pack (item 18000) and the PiMag® Sport Bottle (Item 13501) in Canada and the 48 contiguous states when you order them together. Orders must be called in to Distributor/Customer Services. (We will be closed on July 4 for Independence Day and wish everyone a safe holiday.)